Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Taking the plunge....

I know myself well...a little too well. I know that if I spend my hard earned dollar on something, I'm darn sure gonna get my money's worth! With that said, I took the plunge and joined Julie Hedlund's 12 by 12 Picture Book Writing Challenge. Twelve picture books...in twelve months. Can I do it? My pockets are screaming "YOU BETTER!" (Sidebar....it really wasn't expensive. My mama just raised me to be very frugal is all. Blame her!)

Money aside, I think this is just what I needed--a swift kick in the hoo hah! At the Gold level, I am open to many benefits. Every month, an agent or editor allows submissions, which is great because this moves the participants from the bottom of the slush pile straight to the top. SWEET! That's only half the battle. What's submitted must tickle their fancy. And therein lies the challenge. Womp...womp...womp!

Luckily, I entered Tara Lazar's PiBoIdMo (Picture Book Idea Month). This was a challenge where you had to create one picture book idea a day to equal 30. Ummm....yeah that was tough. But I did come up with about 20 or so ideas, which is more than enough for me to plug away for the 12 by 12 challenge.

And so here my journey begins. My goal this month is to tighten up my newest PB, "Freedom Soup" before I continue submitting it to the world. And then on to the next! I can't wait to see what the year brings!

For more info on 12 by 12, visit: http://www.juliehedlund.com 
For more info on PiBoIdMo, visit: www.taralazar.com

Happy writing!

(got this pic from Julie's website. Love it!)

No comments: