Friday, November 7, 2008

Getting it together

So many ideas, so little time.

Today I am going to New York for a photo shoot.....I am so excited! I hope that the pictures come out well and if I have a double chin in ANY of the pics, I will pay extra to get that bad boy removed!Lol!

And as if life couldn't get any crazier, yesterday I decided to apply for a 501c3 and start up a charity. So now I'm going to be a book-writing, pageant directing, charity organizing, doctoral studying, elementary teaching, exhausted fool! I often wonder what is it about the essence of a woman that allows us to wear so many hats. It's like I can juggle laundry, reading, texting, emailing, feeding the dog and cooking all at once! My life would probably be boring if I wasn't so busy.

I am a member of the New Jersey Society of Children's Book Writer and Illustrators (NJSBWI) and I have a First Page session in two weeks in Princeton. (speaking of which, I still need to sign up for it!) This is where you bring several copies of the first page of your book and a designated reader reads it in front of everyone, including two industry professionals. The first time I went, which was in September, I almost threw up. No, seriously! It was so nerve racking having someone read my personal material. Naturally, my work was chewed to pieces! But I needed that wake up call, you know. So I went back and redid the first page, among other parts. Maybe I should bring the revised first page to the session??? I'm not sure though.

I stepped away for a while from Armstrong and started writing a picture book...untitled for now. It's actually harder than writing a chapter book! I am hoping to have my work read at the upcoming session. It needs some tweaking, so we'll see what happens. The hardest thing for me is finding time to write.

I went to the doctor yesterday and asked him to schedule my surgery for right before Christmas. I will probably miss a month of teaching. But that's ok, because out of that month, I have 2 weeks off from work. I won't be able to drive and I have to stay off my foot for at least 4 weeks. Funny thing is I am looking forward to being confined. That will give me all the time I need to do what I love best....reading and writing! Adios for now!

Tami

No comments: